Tuesday, March 30, 2010

To Jerk or Not to Jerk?

Last summer when the New Boyz monster hit 'You're A Jerk' claim the airwaves youngsters donning their skinny jeans, ultra colorful flannel shirts, gotti scarves with fresh vans started bouncing, swaying, pop-locking, leg hopping and JERKING in parking lots, playgrounds and private yards all across the country.

At first I tried ignore the entire jerking scene like the plague sighting the movement un-original and un-inspiring. However since the summer of 2009 multiple jerking groups have sprout up throughout the Sacramento area and my 12-year-old son is in one of them.

Forced to witness the dance crazed up close and personal I began studying my son's involvement with the jerking movement. First there was the video recording via cellphone of him and his little brother mocking the jerk like movements they had seen on the New Boyz video.

Then he and his best friend decided one day to make a video after school on the tennis court behind their campus and it was then that I realized that my eldest son had found something that he loved to do. I remember watching his first video and smiling... it wasn't perfect but he didn't suck either.

As parents we often wonder what trend our children will partake in as they start to come into their own. I would have never figured "jerking" would be what my eldest love to do. However, I am glad he has chosen something that he loves to do and I can support him in.

Although I don't understand the phenomenon behind the jerk movement, I DO understand that it's something the kids today love and can call their own. It's not the running man, the wop, the cabbage patch, the worm or the pilot; it's the jerk and all the kids... mines included are doing it. :)

Peace & Blessings

ChicaWest

No comments:

Post a Comment