Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Disappearing Black Family

 My husband and I debate and/or discussed social issues that directly affect our culture (our people) and the one topic that we're constantly discussing is the disappearance of the black family.

Now before you click to leave let me just say that this post in no shape or form is an attack on the single parents raising their children the best way they know how. This post is to open up the dialogue to those interested in finding a solution to this problem.

As a member of my functioning black family it's hard NOT to notice that the core members (the dads and moms) are missing from today's traditional black family. When we (me, my husband and two sons) go out and about around town people often stare in amazement because we are not an everyday occurrence.

People's reaction to us being together, raising our children and participating in life as whole unit is amazes me because for as long as I could remember, the immediate family was always the foundation in which gave us our morals and values.

For me family is the key, period and that is something that my husband and I wish to passed on to our boys and them to their children and so on.

 I guess my questions to black parents would be:

- Why is the black family disappearing and who’s to blame?
- Do personal choices play a HUGE part in the disablement of black love and black couples?
- Have society placed too many demands on black men and women to the point that a wedge have been placed between them?
- Have men become to complacent with making babies and not raising them.
- Have black woman settled for raising a child alone instead of making wiser choices for mates?

The future of our black children hangs in the balance if black men and women can not get it together. What are your thoughts?

Peace & Blessings,

ChicaWest

No comments:

Post a Comment