Tuesday, March 30, 2010

On The Music Scene : Red Devil Lounge - March 26, 2010

Where: Red Devil Lounge

When: March 26, 2010

Time: 8:00 PM to 2:00 AM

Who: Adam Stern, Damon Castillo, Matt Masih and The Messengers and Elevaters



My best friend Connie Harris and I are first and foremost music lovers, secondly we are HUGE fans of the Elevaters so when we both heard that the band was going to be back in San Francisco we had to be there! So Connie ordered our tickets with the anticipation of seeing our guys rock the stage once again.

Both Connie and I have frequent the Red Devil Lounge in San Francisco for past shows, however last night Friday night (03/26/2010) when we arrived to the venue a highly charged energy seem to consume the place. People were happy and in a positive mood as Connie and I entered the venue. We were greeted by familiar faces and most of all by the musicians set to take the stage. Matt Masih (a long time friend and brother from another mother) was the first to greet us with his BIG smile. Just earlier that day I'd sent him a facebook message letting him know that Connie and I would be at the show... he was thrilled to see a familiar face in the building.

After exchanging hugs with Matt both Connie and I made a beeline to the front of the stage so that we had the best seats in the house. While standing mid center of the front row Sam Golzari of the Elevaters stepped off the stage to greet me. I gave him a smile followed by hug while asking about the show for the night.

"It's gonna be fun!" He said... "The new songs are dope, I think you're gonna like em!" To be honest, those guys could sing the Alphabets backwards and upside down and it wouldn't matter to be because they are that damn good.

Anyhow, we embraced one last time before he made his way over to give Connie a hug and as he released me he was like "Damn girl you smell good what are you wearing?"

"Versace Bright Crystal," I stated with pure confidence and smiled.

"Like that?!" he asked.

I laughed and answered back, "Hell yeah!"

Then as Sam left to go back stage I ran into Miles at the bar and was greeted with a loud "KESHA YORK-JENKINS!" For those who know Miles, you know he is crazy as hell but loveable nevertheless. The interaction between he and I was similar to what Sam and I had shared only moments ago. He greeted Connie and gave her a hug as well and told him that he was excited that we had been able to make it out to the show... he said that it was going to be a good show.

Now it has become cliche' to promise a good show even if there is a chance that the show may be dreadful. However being that they won us over nearly a year ago to the date with their highly charged performance at Hotel Utah Saloon in San Francisco we knew that when they said we were in for a good performance; we were going to get just that!

We're also really good friends with Berkeley's favorite flower child Adam Stern, so while tuning up on stage for his performance Connie and I dropped by the stage to say hello and give him a hug for good luck. He like Matty and the fellas from Elevaters was excited to see us as well. It had been a year since he'd seen us and just was happy to see friendly familiar faces back in the Bay.

Now out of all the shows I've ever been too I had never felt such a personal connection with the performing artists but it felt great to know that the guys really appreciated our support and enjoyed being in the presence of true music connoisseurs that understood their passion for the music they played for their fans.

As a dedicated soul to music I can dig the hard work and dedication that these artists put into a show. So as the lights dimmed as Adam took the stage I made it a point cheer on my dear friend as he strummed his guitar to classic tunes like  Stronger Everyday, Backstab Baby, California Sun, The Dreamer Child and War. The one song I would have loved for him to do with Elevaters is Cornerstone but he gave a solid performance that left me out of breath.

However what neither of us counted on the San Luis Obispo musician Damon Castillo and his band to grace the stage with such fierce determination that Connie and I could help but notice how deeply rooted Damon's groove was. Belted out tunes like All I Know, Surrender, That Ain't Love, Breakdown, Encore and Prince's Musicology brought the level of intensity to a feverish pitch as the band's saxophone player jazzed up the funk on the band's cover of Prince's tune.

By the time Matt Masih took the stage the crowd was really digging the vibes and rocking to the Messengers as Matty sang pitch perfectly to Take Me Away, Commotion, Just Friends, the Jackson 5 I Want You Back and Stevie Wonder's Superstition. As a long time Michael Jackson fan I found Matt's tribute to the late King of Pop to be fitting and wonderful.

Once Matt's set was over there was about a 10 minute break as the Elevaters prepared to take the stage. Every artist that performed made their way into the crowd to witness the phenomenon about to happen on stage. Both Adam and Matt know the musical genius of the band... after all they are all friends. Just as the energy began to erupt from the eager fans to the left and right of me Sam took the stage with Miles and Benjamin in tow.

After a brief introduction the Elevaters kicked off their set with their brand new single 'Tonight' followed by crowd pleasing tracks like Take Me Out, Can't Stop It, Trippin and a saucy dedication of Patience to my best friend Maharisha. By the time they ended the show with The One I was dripping buckets of sweat and my hair was all but shot! But it was well worth it! The Elevaters gave a high energy, high impact performance that left me wanting more.

Peace & Blessings,

ChicaWest

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you ladies had a blast! I have really gotta make it to one of these show one of these days with you all. Loving the photos!

    ~I~

    ReplyDelete