Tuesday, March 30, 2010

TMI - When is it too much information (original post date 03/29/2010)

We all have at some point in our life share a little more about ourselves than we should have. Telling our business when it wasn't necessary and often sharing too much of our private lives with the wrong people.

I too have done it a time or two, but to error is to be human, right? But when is too much information just that... too much?! Granted one can only learn about the human condition through sharing experiences, but shouldn't there be limit on what we share with whom we share that information with?

The social networking has allowed people from every corner of the globe to come together under a veil of social technology to learn about each other via myspace, facebook or twitter.

While I find it fascinating to learn about the people I socialize with online, I'm not quite interested in really knowing what unsavory activities their involve with offline.

For instance I recently had to give some chick the boot off my twitter followers list because she was a bit of a hoe bag. She and I had corresponded for about six months and she seemed like a cool person... that was until I started noticing her raunchy late night tweets in my feed the next morning.

I try not to judge, really I don't but it's hard not to wonder why someone who indulge in such loose behavior like using twitter as a universal black book to hook up with men and women and then brag about it on twitter.

It's cheap and tacky and I didn't want to have anything to do with her little exploitive game she was playing on twitter so I gave her ass the boot. Had she kept her little escapades to herself I would have never known what she was doing.

However, being that she was so comfortable sharing that part of her life with whomever would read her tweets without questioning her actions made it all too easy for her to share her business online with random ass strangers. Let me say it again, I try hard NOT to judge but she made it real easy for me to cut her loose without looking back.

Some of the other things I have run across on twitter and facebook is people in relationships drawing attention to the flaws of their relationships by inviting others in speak openly about the problems they (the couple) is having.

Now there is nothing wrong with friends seeking the advice and guidance of other friends, but I do have a problem with pulling EVERY friend into a situation that does not call for an audience.

Allowing everyone into your business only complicate things, yet I can't tell you how many times instigators from the outside were invited in only to cause online drama between girlfriend/boyfriend or husband/wife.

The point I am trying to make with this post is that when you share too much of yourself or your business online you open yourself up for all sorts of foolishness and manheim. When you limit what you share online, you spare yourself from being butt-hurt when someone says something about you that you don't like or they judge you because you say something that they don't like. Either way it's a screwed up situation that you should stay away from.

People having issues in their marriage are better off sharing their deepest and most private secrets with a marriage counselor, not your "online" friends. While it's great to have them as a source for guidance and support, depending on what the situation is you may want to get to the bottom of your disparaging marital issues without the peanut gallery messing up your chances for reconciliation.

Just saying...

Peace & Blessings,

ChicaWest

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the very reasons why I limit what I say or do online. People have just become so complacent with sharing way too much of their business with strangers. SMH

    ~I~

    ReplyDelete