Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A WTF Moment - Sandra Bullock Adopts Baby and Announces Divorce

I’m all for empowerment of women but at what cost must women continue to do things that suit their needs without factoring how the choices they make in life impacts others.

Case in point, Sandra Bullock reveals during her interview with People Magazine that she is filing for divorce from cheating husband Jesse James and have finally adopted a beautiful baby boy name Louis who was born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

When I sent out a tweet stating my disdain this morning I was told by various friend and followers that before all hell broke loose within the marriage she (Sandra) and Jesse had been working on adopting a baby for 4 years. Since I have not followed her personal life or career I can not debate the validity of their argument.

However, here is the problem I have with this entire story. Parenting is not something you’re born into, it’s not something you can wake up one day and decide you want to do nor is it something you should be able to just “purchase” to do. Children are a long life commitment not accessories and I personally feel like some of these Celebes have nothing better to do with their time and money but acquire things to make themselves feel important and/or loved.

As a black woman I find Sandra’s joy of adoption in the midst of a divorce an oxymoron. For years Black women have been on the receiving end of society’s debate about birthing children outside of wedlock and raising children in single family homes and yet here we have an Oscar winning actress about to embark down that same path and everyone (black chicks included) seem to be okay with it.

WTF?! Did I miss the part where yet another black child is going to be raise without a father?! Little Louis may experience all the finer things in life but he’ll be without a father to raise him and teach him how to be a man… He’ll grow to love his mother but yearn for a father to bond and spend time with… what about the child?!

I’m not bitter about Sandra’s adoption at all, although I am very perplexed about the timing of her announcement. Bringing a child into a broken marriage and family is not news and it further shows the shaky state of familiar status within society.

Peace & Blessings,

ChicaWest

2 comments:

  1. I am a single mom Kesh and you're right it's not easy nor is it for everyone. My circumstance as to why my child is growing up without a father is similiar to Sandra's so I identify with what she is going through. However, it still does not excuse either parties from raising their children. I do wonder if Jesse has rights to the child since this was "supposedly" a joint adoption and if so, will Sandra allow little Louis time with his father?!

    ~I~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Isis, I too wonder if Jesse invested time into the adoption process of this baby and if so will he have a role is raising little man even though he is divorcing Sandra. Probably not since that is not the "Hollywood" way of resolving maritial conflict issues. *shrugs shoulders*

    ChicaWest

    ReplyDelete