Friday, April 9, 2010

What Was Remember The Time by Michael Jackson Really About?

Today while at work I was listening to my newly purchased History: Past, Present and Future - Book 1 CD by the late King of Pop Michael Jackson. I popped in the second disc first to hear my joints Scream, They Don't Care About Us, Stranger in Moscow, Earth Song, D.S., Come Together, You Are Not Alone, Tabloid Junkie and Smile.

The first disc alone provided me with a strong hour and a half of music and you know that I was in the office getting my groove on and singing at the top of my voice along with music maestro himself when the music finally came to an end.

Looking up at my rather large THIS IS IT movie poster of Mike, I shook my head and grabbed disc one to play all the classic joints: Billie Jean, The Way You Make Me Feel, Black or White, Rock With You, Bad, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, Man In The Mirror, Thriller, Beat It, The Girl Is Mine, Remember the Time...

I never did get to hear the rest of disc one because as I was so enthusiastically singing along to Remember the Time certain lyrics caught my attention...

Remember The Times
Ooh... In The Park
Remember The Times
After Dark..., Do You, Do You, Do You
Remember The Times
Do You, Do You, Do You, Do You

Now for those of you who never followed Michael's career those words mean nothing to you... well nothing that would hold significant meaning. For those of us who have spent our entire lives enthralled with MJ's music and personal life these very words gave an exclusive and intimate detail inside of his personal and very private life.

Sadly the only thing this discovery did for me was validate what I believed to be true all along. As a fan I have always respected Michael's personal and private life and even though he has passed on I still respect that private side of his life even though embedded in every lyric of every song he gave his fans glimpses of his most intimate moments of life.

I remember getting into a heated debate with a fan who doubted the validity of a book that shares the same title as the song that enlightened me today. The fact that I logged onto www.michaeljackson.com to discover a discussion going on about this very book while listening to the song and hearing the lyrics at the same could have been a unlikely coincidence but somehow I think it was Michael's way of easing lingering doubts in my head once and for all.


In 'Tabloid Junkie' Mikey sings so passionately: 

Just because you read it in a magazine
Or see it on the TV screen
Don't make it factual
Though everybody wants to read all about it
Just because you read it in a magazine
You see it on the TV screen
Don't make it factual, actual
It would seem that the truth was always on the surface and written for us all to see. Now that he is gone I think it is up to us all to find relevance in the meaning of his music and determine the truth of Michael's life as a human being... as a man... not the musician we all loved.

Peace & Blessings,

ChicaWest


No comments:

Post a Comment